Monday, April 29, 2013

Priceless Haiku Poetry!

Ten Cent Haiku 

I sat down to write a haiku.
It seemed like the right thing to do.
I wouldn't need very much time.
No need to bother
with making a rhyme.
I reached in my pocket
and pulled out a dime.
This is my ten-cent haiku:

Shiny silver friend.
i will never let you go.
Look!  An ice cream truck!

- from Flamingos on the Roof: Poems and Paintings by Calef Brown

Kindergartners decided to try their hand at yet another form of writing called "Haiku."  We first reviewed that poetry is another kind of genre and that "genre" is a way of describing a type of writing, music, art, or dance.  We also recalled other genres discussed this year- folk tales, fairy tales, plays, and fiction/non-fiction.  

We identified syllables as "break downs of words into parts."  We then "clapped  out" our first and last names ( and other words like "anti-disestablishmentarianism")   into these syllables or parts.  We later used our clapping technique to convert one of  our poems into "Haiku" Poetry.  We also read that the poetry style of  "Haiku" originated in Japan and has distinguishing characteristics-  are short, does not rhyme, and are usually about nature.  We also discovered that there are traditionally written with 5 syllables on the first line, 7 syllables on the second, and 5 syllables on the third.

Ironically, when given the task to write a poem about themselves as the topic, Kindergartners appeared to have a more difficult challenge.  So we wrote about what we wrote about!  We are also practicing putting "vowels" into all of our syllables and spaces between our words.  Most importantly, it is the Kindergartners' thoughts... their amazing thoughts, that really matter!  We will also be delivering "poems in a pocket" (passing out poems as random acts of kindness) in celebration of the end of "Poetry Month" sometime this week!

Here are samples of some of our Haiku Poetry!

I like teddy bears
La La Loopsy baby dolls
and my Mom and Dad -C.F.

I turn the lights out
Next, I can not find my door
My shutter is closed. -C.R.

Yes!  I like my Mom
Yes! I like my Dad
No, I don't like hot!  W.H.

O U LIS GO (Oh you!  Let's Go)
OI SD SE TL U I LEC (Oh, I should be telling you what I like!)
WL I LEC BOB BSS (Well, I like bubble baths)
And ROAC (Rock) and ROL (Roll) -M.S. 








No comments:

Post a Comment